law handbook

Out of Province/Country Claims

Even if you’re involved in an accident outside of BC, you may still be dealing with ICBC. If you are at fault for the accident, you will still be dealing with ICBC for your own vehicle damage and Part VII benefits, as well as any claims made against you.

If you’re injured outside of BC and the accident was not your fault, you will have a claim against the other driver’s insurance company, but you might still have ICBC insurance coverage.

In many jurisdictions in the United States, the amount of third-party liability coverage available to pay damages suffered in an accident can be as low as $10,000. It’s also not uncommon for vehicles there to be driven without insurance. If there’s not enough insurance coverage to pay for all your damages, ICBC may have to compensate you under the underinsured motorist protection (“U.M.P.”) plan.

Please see the section on U.M.P. coverage for a full description.

In other situations where you’re injured outside the Province, disability benefits, and medical expenses coverage may not be available to the same extent as Part VII benefits available through ICBC. Your entitlement to Part VII benefits applies regardless of the location of the accident, but Part VII benefits are secondary insurance. It means you have to claim against other insurance before going to ICBC for the Part VII benefits.

If the injury occurs in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec or Ontario, ICBC will have to comply with their legislated higher limits of medical and rehabilitation coverage.

In short, whenever you’re involved in an out-of-Province accident, contact ICBC’s dial-a-claim and report it just to be sure.


Explore our services


Here’s how Helpforme experts helped others.


your wellbeing is our priority.
All our personal legal services are contingency-based. This means you can reduce your stress and financial responsibility from the equation. We’ll support you through every step of your claim.

Contact Us

We proudly sponsor